As I’m returning from my trip to Chicago, I decided to pull over at the local Starbucks and write my blog. Isn’t technology great when you can travel and still get your work accomplished. I started thinking about my daughters first year in college and how I was going to help her add more raw foods to her diet.
My daughter is eighteen and she is a typical teen that loves fast food and anything with sugar. She grew up on a vegetarian lifestyle, but as she got older I allowed her decide for herself what she likes to eat. Since she’s been away at college her diet mostly consist of fast foods, therefore, I have been creating a number of raw vegan meals and introducing her to more raw vegan foods when she comes home from school. To make raw food more appealing, I create meals that remind her of all the foods she loves to eat like tacos! These raw vegan taco wraps are very comforting and filling and oh sooo delicious! I think food should be healthy but taste delicious. We should enjoy our meals and not sacrifice taste for nutrition, that’s why I take your favorite foods and show you how to turn those into healthful tasteful raw dishes. Raw foods are great because they are the “life force” which charges our cells and life force is energy. Our cells are like tiny batteries and they need to stay charged in order for our temple (body) to function properly, ward off decease and heal itself. When we eat cooked food, we killed the enzymes needed for digestion, also enzymes enables vitamins and minerals to assimilate where they’re needed in the body. As a result, I recommend increasing your raw whole foods intake to at least 51% and as you learn more and see that you will not miss much in variety and taste, you may increase that percentage. Enjoy!
|Raw Vegan Taco Wrap||
- Taco Nut “Meat”
- 1 1/2 C Raw Almonds 1/2 C Walnuts
- 1/3 C Sun Dried Tomatoes loosely packed (If using oil packed, may slightly reduce amount of olive oil added)
- 1/2 Tsp Chili Powder (or to taste)
- 1/4 Tsp Cayenne Powder (or to taste)
- 2 to 4 Tbsp Olive Oil Optional: 1 Tsp Salt (or to taste)
- Nut Cheese
- 1 cup raw cashews, sunflower seeds or almonds
- large red or orange bell pepper
- cup water
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon tahini (or almond butter)
- 1½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 clove garlic (or garlic powder)
- 2 teaspoon onion powder (or a small slice of onion or 1 Tbsp of green onion)
- Taco nut “meat” Preparation:
- Using a food processor chop with an s-blade until its resembles ground beef. Doesn’t take long maybe 30 seconds or less.
- It’s always good to soak your nuts the night before and air dry or dehydrate before using in the recipes. Soaking aids in good digestion.
- Nut Cheese Preparation:
- Using a blender, blend all ingredients until creamy. Add more water if it is too thick.
- And Enjoy the Dip!!! Or use it as a salad dressing if you combine it with a little oil such as flax, hemp, or olive oil to Thin it Out A Bit.
- Assemble Taco Wraps:
- Wash and pat dry romaine lettuce leaves
- Spoon on a layer of nut cheese
- Spoon on a layer of taco nut “meat”
- Top with your favorite raw topping ( I used: Avocado, tomatoes, red onions and more nut cheese)
It’s always good to soak your nuts the night before and air dry or dehydrate before using in the recipes. Soaking aids in good digestion.